Follow me on this crazy adventure to figure out what works, what's safe, and what's truly good for you

Friday, April 12, 2013

Feeling Like a Baby...

My son is 5 months old so we've been introducing him to solid foods. The process involves adding one food at a time and waiting a period of 4 days before adding a new food so that any adverse reaction can be linked to the food that caused it. Apparently it can take up to 4 days for an adverse reaction to appear. As I was reintroducing foods this past week I couldn't help but feel a little bit like a baby, eating and waiting to see how my body responded.

Well I didn't wait 4 days in between each food, and instead of introducing one food only, I introduced one food type (grains, dairy, etc.). I was definitely able to see responses to different foods. I ate the full gamut and in small amounts, no particular food type bothered me, but in larger amounts I had some adverse reactions. Starchy carbs like bread made me feel heavy, weighted down, drained. Dairy gave me an awful stomach ache. Sugar also gave me a stomach ache as well as a headache and a little bit of nausea. I didn't notice any problems with meat (I had chicken, fish and sausage this week).

What has surprised me the most is how quickly and easily I fell back into old habits. It's been one week since I ended my juice fast and the first few days went very well, but by day 4 I was starting to slip. Now 7 days later I'm doing worse than I have in a long time. I've realized that my biggest problem is definitely overeating. I take one more bit, one more serving, one more bowl, because I love the taste of the food. It doesn't matter if it's healthy or not - I'll overeat strawberries or steamed broccoli just as easily as I will chocolate chip cookies. I don't really have any answers on that yet but it's good to know the main problem so I know what I have to overcome.

In an effort to gain the upper hand on food, I'm going to do another juice fast. Even though it wasn't my original goal, last week quickly became about the pounds I was losing and the long forgotten sizes I was suddenly fitting into again. While I fully expect to lose at least a few more pounds this time, I'm not going to weigh myself at all this second time around. I'll weigh myself at the start but then not again until the end. My goal is really to try and gain control over food and my eating habits. For the next week or so I'll be preparing by transitioning to a plant-based diet. I am also going to start with fruitier juices and transition to juices with more veggies. I think last time I set myself up for failure by jumping straight to mostly veggie based drinks that I ended up not even really liking. Here's hoping for a more successful round 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment